Screening Tests for Mood Disorders
- PHQ-9 for depression: adult, adolescent
- AREDOC Mood Rating Scale: Patient version, Friend & relative version (this new scale is an improved version of the two below, but the two below are still useful)
- Bipolar Spectrum Diagnostic Scale: Patient version, Friend & relative version
- Mood Disorder Questionnaire: Patient version, Friend & relative version, Child & adolescent version
- Hypomanic Checklist-32
Other Screening Tests
For Professional Use
- The Bipolarity Index looks beyond symptoms to measure markers of bipolar disorder across the lifespan (original study)
- Digit Symbol Substitution Test (DSST) a 3 minute test of processing speed (typical results for various populations are in DSST Norms)
- MINI Neuropsychiatric Interview: There are several versions of the MINI, each for different populations (the DSM-5 version for adults is $10). More diagnostic scales, including disability and suicidality, are available through Dr. Sheehan’s group, the Harm Research Institute.
- SCID Structured Interview: DSM-5 version, Free DSM-IV Mania Section
- Free, Brief, and Validated. This research article lists the top free rating scales for common psychiatric conditions.